Last night, I had the privilege of attending the Graduation Ceremony for Maui Preparatory Academy’s (MPA) second class of seniors.
I was so impressed by the talented cass of 2011. The thirteen seniors graduating are all headed off to college, with combined scholarship offers exceeding $1.2 million. While each student has different passions and hobbies, they all excell in academics, sports, and the arts. Having grown up here on the island, I can tell you that not everyone has the opportunity or the resources to go to college, or is instilled with the idea that it is even a possibility.
The school started just six years ago, in 2005, as a vision of community members who wanted to provide their children with an outstanding college preparatory education here in West Maui. Since that time, the Napili school has grown from 37 students to over 180, with approximately 40% of the students receiving financial aid of some sort.
The school is the only private school in West Maui to offer classes from pre-school to high school, and it’s mission is to provide students with a safe, nurtiring and stimulating environment, fostering a superior education. The core values upon which it is founded, include:
- Students First¦ our reason for being and the basic tenet for all decision making.
- Pursuit of Excellence¦ in everything we try to accomplish ~ working every day to be better than the day before.
- Focus on the Individual¦ as a reflection of our sense of humanity and concern for the well being of each child.
- Seeking and Appreciating Challenges¦ to test our resolve, strength, conviction, and maturity.
- Accepting and Appreciating the Differences of Others¦ allowing us to grow with open minds and kind souls.
- Exemplifying the Highest Moral and Ethical Behavior¦ in our lives and in our interactions with others.
- Promoting Environmental Stewardship¦ developing an appreciation for and commitment to preserving our unique island environment.
Hearing the seniors speak, it was evident that they embodied these core values. The fact that 100% will attend college is a testament to the education that they have received at MPA. Watching them on stage, covered in so many leis that they could barely see, with the crowd cheering, showed just how important these individuals are to our community. Congratulations!